I made this set of cards in 1977 and today I managed to take this video of it and how it works. Here I am applying some weaving theory to lines drawn on two opposing edges of a stack of post cards. The post cards in this case were from Gallery 76, OCA's art gallery at that time.
I was working with the idea that I could translate processes through different media with the idea that only those aspects of the process that really interested me would survive the transition, and by doing so a number of times, and with various and preferred processes and materials, I would come to see a direction in my work, and see it with better clarity and confidence.
I compared this transition activity to a filtering process. With the weaving post card transition (and others like it) I discovered that although I loved the process of weaving very much, what I didn't have was very much attraction to the fabric itself. By passing weaving theory through a transition filter, what passed through the filter were the parts of weaving I was engaged with and loved most, and what got caught in the filter and left behind was the fabric itself, which I didn't have much use for.
I also tried applying the same to a Transition of Weaving to Wood, and more recently with a Fabric Grid Video.
This was harder to do that it might look.I ended-up writing myself a little script to follow. Here it is:
Plain
Summersault
Summersault - Twist
Twist
Plain
Twist
Summersault - Twist
Summersault
Plain
No comments:
Post a Comment